Foreign community at Chinese World of Warcraft
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foreign community at Chinese World of Warcraft

For those who want to play World of Warcraft cheaper on the Chinese realms (in Chinese, English or other languages)

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GlossaryGlossary  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WARLORDS OF DREANOR - RELEASE ON 13.11.2014

FOR THOSE HAVING CONNECTIVITY PROBLEMS CHECK HERE!

Share | 

Script for people with latency problems...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Ashra 
DragonmawDragonmaw

Male Age : 49

Character in WOW
Server: Bronzebeard
Name: Rectum, Salty, Carebear and all the others..
Guild: yes

Script for people with latency problems... _
  Script for people with latency problems... I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Mar 2010 - 7:41  #
Found this posted (originally by hyperus of the Uldum) and thought it could be of some interest to the techie types:

Disclaimer: This is something I've posted on my guild forums and we've had some success using the techinique posted below. The script isn't my work although it replicates a registry key I figured out myself.

I'm sure a bunch of people will comment on how it's extremely unsafe to run .vbs files you've downloaded from the internet. I agree totally. The script is provided for those people who don't feel comfortable editing the registry themselves.

To give an example of the kind of improvement I've seen. When playing around last night during peak time I was getting a ping of 250 when normally it would be around 400-500.

----
Okay thanks to the internode and lowerping stuff and random people around in the warcraft community. We now know that blizz has screwed up their netcode and this means people with high latency suffer more than they should.

For those who know their networking basically blizz follows nagle's algorithm(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagle%27s_algorithm) but don't understand the consequences for players with higher latencies. They could easily allieviate some of our latency issues by opening our connection with tcp_nodelay enabled.

Luckily for us we can disable "Nagle's algorithm" on our computers in windows by setting a simple registry key.

1. Open the registry editor by going start->run and typing "regedit" then pressing enter
2. Nagivate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\"
3. Look in each of the keys inside that one (they look like: {random numbers and letters]) and determine which one is your network connection. You can tell this since it will have your computers local ip address stored in it.
4. Add a new key called "TcpAckFrequency" of type REG_DWORD and set the value to 1.
4b. If you are using windows 2000 call this new key "TcpDelAckTicks" and set it to 0 instead.
5. Restart your computer.

You should now see an improvement of perhaps 100-200ms.

If at some stage you wish to remove the key just go in there and delete it.

To make it even more braindead some smart people out there came up with this script: http://files.racs.com.au/_WOW/SetAckTick.vbs

I've looked at it and all it does it set some keys in your registry. No harm will come from running it. If you happen to use applications that send out alot of small packets of data though this will negatively impact performance. But since most of you probably play wow, download "movies", and music you'll be fine.. If you do alot of telnetting then you might need to disable the registry "fixes" if you're concerned about performance.

-------- TLDR VERSION -----------
Run this: http://files.racs.com.au/_WOW/SetAckTick.vbs
Restart computer
Load wow
Enjoy lower pings

For vista you'll need to download this patch http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?showtopic=3265

UNQUOTE

Like I said not mine but could prove useful, I don't know enough about this and its effects if used with a proxy so haven't bothered and tbh a ping of 200 is fine n dandy for me but i read a lot of you out there like a ping of 3ms or whatever, hope this is of some help.... of course you can't use a high ping as an excuse for sucking at PVP then.
Muhan 
WyrmWyrm
Muhan

Male
Character in WOW
Server: CN1, PVE, Alliance, Maduolan (玛多兰), Silvermoon (银月)
Name: Loklok, Lokatme, Huntar, Magicjack, Urdead, Warry, Lokabubble, Bloodymerry / Bewitched
Guild: Swiss Bunnies

Script for people with latency problems... _
  Script for people with latency problems... I_icon_minitimeFri 5 Mar 2010 - 12:05  #
Here is a link to the english forums of wow, where this has been dicussed aswell:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=4665621068&sid=1&pageNo=1

Since I have a ping around 150 to 200ms, I gave it a try . Sadly I didn't notice any improvement on my side.
In general the Internet connection in Kunming isn't supperior. I get more or less the same ping, when checking the internet connection with broadband speed tests at home, at work or in internet bars.
I assume, that if normaly you have a good internet connection and a bad ping, when playing cn wow, that this solution could help, at least that's the feeling I got after reading the posts on the English wow forum about this topic.

Script for people with latency problems...

View previous topic  View next topic  Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Foreign community at Chinese World of Warcraft  :: General -
Forum create on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com